There are a ton of recipes out there so I figured everyone would want to pick their preference. Here’s the recipe I’m going to give a go; it combines my love of Chai tea and cookies all in one:
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon loose Chai spice tea or orange spice tea (about 3 tea bags)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon triple sec (orange-flavored liqueur) or orange juice
- 3 large eggs
- Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (flour through allspice) in a large bowl. Combine the oil, liqueur, and eggs, and add to the flour mixture, stirring until well-blended (the dough will be dry and crumbly). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 7 or 8 times. Divide the dough in half. Shape each portion into an 8-inch-long roll. Place rolls 6 inches apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; flatten each roll to 1-inch thickness.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove the rolls from baking sheet; cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut each roll diagonally into 15 (1/2-inch) slices. Place the slices, cut sides down, on baking sheet. Reduce the oven temperature to 325°; bake 10 minutes. Turn cookies over; bake an additional 10 minutes (the cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet; cool completely on wire rack.