Saturday, October 1, 2011

October Inspiration: Carbonation


Posted by -colleen

I have been looking for an excuse to make this Chocolate Guinness Beer Cake for a long, long time. Every review and variation on it seems to draw rave reviews. It's a super-moist but not too sweet chocolate cake balanced with the dark, stout beer and then a whipped up, frothy, foam-like frosting which should resemble the head on a glass of beer.
Then one day, a friend made a Chocolate Dr. Pepper Malt Cake for my birthday (a recipe she got from the amazing and personally highly recommended Dinosaur BBQ cookbook. This was the best chocolate cake I have ever tasted. EVER. So apparently, the richness, the moistness, the not-so-over the top chocolate goodness is greatly helped by carbonated beverage.
So, that is my challenge to all the bakers this month: bake yourself up some yummy goodness using some form of carbonated beverage. It can be a cake, cupcakes, I even saw a bunch of recipes for breads. There are a TON of recipes out there using Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite and the
previously mentioned beer and Dr. Pepper.
Can't wait to see what everyone does!
Enjoy!

4 comments:

Rena said...

YUM! I have been dying to make Guinness cupcakes! Love this idea. Thanks!

Unknown said...

So fun! I am excited to give this a try.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That cake looks delicious! Stout is amazing in cakes...

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

I am so excited with this challenge as you can see, I had to bake one!! Your cake looks fabulous!