Thursday, November 1, 2012

November Challenge: Brownies

Posted by - Rena

Hello fellow bakers! I hope all of you are safe after Hurricane Sandy. I live in NYC and we were hit quite hard. I was luckier than most in that I didn't lose power and wasn't flooded but most of my city was not so lucky. My heart goes out to everyone in Sandy's path.

Like everyone else in NYC who was ill equipped to deal with hurricanes - as we don't usually have them here - I ate. A LOT. I went to the store to get the "necessities" such as cupcakes and soda. Useless items in a true emergency but so tasty. Comfort food is key in this type of situation.

Our challenge this month is to make Brownies. Brownies are the ultimate comfort food. I visited my favorite bakery yesterday which had been closed all week due to the hurricane and they had trays and trays of brownies out. It made me smile.

You can make brownies or blondies. Put your spin on them! I'm thinking marshmallows... more comfort food!

Again, I hope all of you are safe and sound. Looking forward to see what you come up with this month.
photo from MarthaStewart.com

5 comments:

Dorrie said...

So glad to hear that the bakery is open! I love brownies - yummy challenge - thanks!

cocoa and coconut said...

Glad to hear you weren't affected by the terrible weather. Hope that continues. As for the brownies, you are so right..they are the ultimate comfort food! So moreish.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Rena! I'm back in the game. :)

anthony stemke said...

Happy to hear you were not inundated by Sandy. Having lived in New Orleans, I know that hurricane necessities are cupcakes, soda, beer, pretzels and batteries.
Hope you never see another storm like this one.
Sorry you missed the marathon though but I'm glad it was cxld.

Nik@ABrownTable said...

Glad to hear all is well. Brownies are a great comfort food!