Saturday, January 1, 2011

January Challenge - Bagels















Posted by - Dorrie

I love bagels; I love them smeared with butter or cream cheese or sandwiching a nice healthy stack of egg, cheese and bacon. But here in Colorado we don't really have anywhere to get a real bagel; my husband is always complaining that instead we have "circular bread".

So, for the January challenge I will be seeking (and hope you will search with me as well) a recipe for an authentic bagel. There are many ways to make this classic, so I hope to see lots of varieties and get lots of new ideas.

Whatever your bagel craving, I hope you have fun and enjoy! Happy New Year everyone and happy bagel making!

12 comments:

Vivian Thiele said...

Interesting Challenge... I will have to find a recipe for bagels that peaks my interest.

Torviewtoronto said...

bagels look delicious

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This one scares me and I love bagels.

Rena said...

I'm a little scared to make bagels but I'm up for the challenge. This is a crazy month for me so hopefully I'll actually get to it. :)

? said...

I've made it long time back when I first came to this country and to search for a recipe; am a little hesitant but would love to try this one.

lena said...

hmm, will source for a recipe to make bagels.

Unknown said...

Ooo, I hope I can find the time to make these.

In other news, Sara Penelope was born on Sunday, 1/2/11, at 11:02 am. We are all doing well, just adjusting.

Rena said...

CONGRATULATIONS NANCY!!

Nana said...

http://cindyloubakes.blogspot.com/2011/01/bagels-january-project.html

Nana said...

Thursday, January 13, 2011Bagels - January Project
I am so excited to be a part of this baking group!!

For my bagels I used the recipe found at bakingbites.com. Although I followed the recipe as written, I was very disappointed with the results. They certainly are no threat to the local Jewish deli!!

I was looking for that crispy outside & chewy inside. These did not have that. Sadly, there was no crispy outside.

Well Dressed Cupcakes said...

love bagels! all kinds but have never made them. will give it a try!

anthony stemke said...

Your spouse is correct: they are circular bread or as I say - bagel shaped bread and Sarah Lee is the biggest perpetrator of this fraud.
The boiling in water is very important.