Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March Challenge: Irish Potato Pie


Posted by - Vivian http://letstrythese.blogspot.com

I'm rather keen on holidays myself. While the kids were growing up I took great care to have the house decorated for every holiday. We even celebrated some of the lesser known celebration days such as Dr. Seuss day, Chocolate day... etc. The kids loved it and made for great memories and now I've restarted the tradition with my grandsweetie :-)
Saying that, when I was asked to step in and fill the spot for the March challenge I was instantly drawn to traditional Irish desserts. There are many fabulous recipes sounding recipes out there but many included the use of whiskey or beer. Since I knew that many of you cook with your children I just wanted to bypass those recipes this round (although I myself will have to give a few of those a try!) Interestingly enough, I came across this recipe for Irish Potato Pie and, to quote,"this recipe, with slight adjustments, was brought over "on the boat" by the cook's great-great-aunt shortly after a potato famine in the 1880s. When asked why she had brought a potato pie (rather than a fruit pie) recipe with her, she'd answer that she had hoped that America would have an abundant supply of potatoes, as in Ireland there was "nary a sound potato to be had there. May God bring them back." Of course, God did, and we celebrate that with the fine legacy of Aunt Bridget's potato custard pie. Mary Cummings, New Smyrna Beach, Florida, The Old Farmer's Almanac Recipe Contest, Dublin, New Hampshire."
Doesn't sound like I could get a more traditional recipe than that! Had to hustle to get it made today so that I could have some pictures for you. While I chose this recipe, there are a few other dessert style potato pies to choose from so feel free to browse the net!
Irish Potato Pie
recipe from http://www.almanac.com/recipe/irish-potato-pie
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
3 eggs
2 cups half-and-half or light cream
2 cups mashed potatoes (whipped smooth with no lumps)  I'm assuming they mean without milk or butter... that's what I did any way.
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Irish whiskey, brandy, or sherry (optional)  
1 unbaked 10-inch deep-dish pie shell with high fluted edge
Freshly grated nutmeg
Toasted slivered almonds


Directions
Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs slightly. Stir in the half-and-half or cream, potatoes, sugar, vanilla, salt, and liquor (if using). Beat well until smooth.

Cover the fluted edge of the pie shell with aluminum foil to prevent overbrowning. Pour the filling into the shell and sprinkle with nutmeg.

Place on the center rack of the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 15 to 18 minutes more, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle the almonds around the outer edge and dust with additional nutmeg. Serve at room temperature; store in the refrigerator.
I used my ricer to get my potatoes super smooth






11 comments:

Rena said...

YUM!

Thank you so much Vivian for stepping in. I'm so sorry that you rushed to make this. You could have just posted the challenge and made it at your leisure. I hope it wasn't a terrible inconvenience.

It looks delicious! Can't go wrong with potatoes. :)

cocoa and coconut said...

What an interesting recipe! I've never heard of potato pie. I can't imagine how it would taste. But looking at the ingredient list, I bet it would taste good.

Priyanka said...

Yummy and interesting too :)

everyday products and more said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vivian Thiele said...

I'm excited by the response! It is very much like a custard pie... well, the taste anyway. Texture wise it is more firm. Will be interested in seeing what everyone else thinks of it!

Satya said...

very nice and yummy recipe ...I love baking and blog has so much of it : )

Super Yummy Recipes

Shanae Branham said...

Your Irish Potato pie looks yummie! Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your words of wisdom. I think that there are dreams which make us reflect on our lives and when we do we can gain powerful insight.

Sarah at Mr. Food said...

Vivian, thanks for your potato custard pie recipe! Also loved the cook's family story behind it.

I included it in a post on St. Patrick's Day desserts on the Mr. Food blog:

http://www.mrfoodblog.com/dig-in-to-st-patricks-day-desserts/

Anonymous said...

I made your pie with a few adjustments and I really liked it alot. Thanks for a great pick for the month of March.

Anonymous said...

Just a slight quibble: "shortly after the potato famine in the 1880s"....the potato famine lasted roughly from 1842-1848, so by 1880 it was nearly 40 years ago.

Anonymous said...

do you think it would freeze well. i would like to ship one to my mom.