Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June Challenge!


Strawberry shortcake cream on top
Tell me the name of your sweetheart

Oh!  Sorry!  Didn't see you there.

I was just reliving my childhood.  And trying to burn off some of the calories that I plan on consuming when we make these fabulous confections for this month's Have the Cake challenge! 

A flaky biscuit stuffed with homemade whipped cream and fresh strawberries...can you think of a better way to celebrate National Strawberry Shortcake Day (June 14th)?

The recipe that follows is from Smitten Kitchen whose blog I go to for all of my baking needs (the picture is from there as well!).  However, feel free to use whatever recipe you want with whatever twist you want!

Strawberry Shortcakes
Serves 6

1 2/3 cups (224 grams) all-purpose flour
3 1/2 tablespoons (50 grams) sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon (20 grams) baking powder
2 hard-boiled egg yolks
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (84 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 teaspoons lemon or orange zest (optional)
2/3 cup (168 grams) plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream

Shortcake assembly
1/2 pound strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
2 tablespoons (25 grams) sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup whipping cream, beaten to soft peaks

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, egg yolks, and salt. Pulse to combine. Add the butter and zest, if using, and pulse until the flour resembles coarse meal. Add 2/3 cup of cream and pulse until the dough comes together.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and gather into a shaggy mass. Knead a couple times to make it into a cohesive mass and then pat it into a rough circle about 6 to 7 inches in diameter, and 3/4 to 1-inch thick.

Using a sharp knife, cut the circle into 6 wedges and arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Alternately, you can use a cookie cutter to make shapes of your choice. Chill for 20 minutes (and up to 2 hours).

Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush the tops of the shortcakes very lightly with heavy cream and sprinkle lightly with the coarse sugar. Bake until risen and golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Turn the pan around halfway through to ensure even cooking.

While the shortcakes are baking, toss the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice together in a bowl. Let stand several minutes. (If the strawberries are extremely firm, do this 30 minutes in advance.)
Split the shortcakes in half horizontally and set the tops aside. Place the bottoms on dessert plates and heap strawberries over them. Spoon whipped cream generously over the strawberries and replace the shortcake tops. Serve immediately with any remaining whipped cream on the side.


Posted by - Joanne

11 comments:

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Hey gurl , was wondering what u'll come up with!!!
Delicious pick!!!
I sure wanna bake this one...am so late but am putting up my post in a bit!!!

Vivian Thiele said...

well yummy! I love strawberrry shortcake! Will have to see how creative I can get with this.

Anonymous said...

Oooo yum, I think shortcakes are one of the traditional American sweet bakes- love the blog, think it's a great idea x

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

This looks delicious! I LOVE strawberry shortcake, thanks!

? said...

Lovely Lovely! Have been meaning to make this but got sidetracked by how good the Raspberry Buttermilk recipe worked with berries!

Rena said...

Great pick! Perfect for summer weather. Thanks! :)

shriya said...

I love them, I made it onetime. Love the recipe.

Jessica said...

I am very excited about making this, yummy!!

Amber said...

Yummy! I cannot wait :) Especially because it is strawberry picking season near me :)

Katie said...

Cool! I'm excited to come up with a twist but I'll be hard-pressed to improve upon the original...

Dolci D'Amira said...

It looks so delicious and I think the best sweet to eat anytime of the day especially for breakfast, thanks for inspiring me AGAIN!