Thursday, September 1, 2011

September Challenge: Icebox Cake

photo from Smitten Kitchen


Posted by - Rena

Happy September! I am thrilled that summer is almost over. It was a lovely summer but I'm ready for fall. It's still pretty warm out so I thought an icebox cake would be perfect to usher us into the next season. No one wants cold desserts when it's snowing! I always joke (to myself) that icebox cakes are the dessert version of casseroles. You can just layer away with goodies and somehow they all settle in nicely together. I first learned about these cakes from Smitten Kitchen. The recipe is super simple. I've made it twice and I swear to you, the cake tastes like a giant Oreo cookie. There are a million versions of icebox cakes that use ingredients such as pudding, cream cheese and whipped cream so have a look around the internet and find the one that suits you. I realize there isn't any baking involved, unless you'd like to bake your own cookies, wafers, cake or graham crackers but September is always busy so we can make something delicious without even turning on the oven!

Here are a few variations I found:
Cinnamon & Cream Cheese Icebox Cake
Strawberry Icebox Cake
Raspberry Icebox Cake
Lemon Graham Cracker Icebox Cake
Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Banana Icebox Cake
Nutella Icebox Cake

Happy Layering!

17 comments:

Vivian Thiele said...

How intriguing! Thanks for the new challenge!

Dorrie said...

Yay! I love icebox cakes. Thanks Rena!

Unknown said...

Yum! I have never made one of these. I am excited.

cocoa and coconut said...

I've never heard of this before..but sounds like a mountain of deliciousness! I love it!

Curious Cook said...

How interesting. This is such a new concept to me and I am thrilled to try it out. Cant wait. Will link you to my post, when I eventually make one! Thanks for the links!

btw, that photograph of the cake looks absolutely divine! DROOOOOOOOOOL!!!!

kyleen said...

I've never tried make an icebox cake, but I did read about it on Smitten Kitchen and it sounds/looks delish. Super excited to try it (:

Amy Anderson said...

I've made it before and you're right, it tastes just like a big Oreo!

Amy @ A Little Nosh

aki! said...

What? That's it?

This cake looks like a slice costs 7.50... but I can't believe it's that easy to make.

Unfortunately, its yumminess comes at the cost of a lot of calories. I might have to skip this one.

Rena said...

Aki, there are so many versions you can make cakes that are fairly low cal. There are low fat graham crackers, fat free pudding and cool whip. You can absolutely make one that is low cal. :)

Quay Po Cooks said...

These is out of the world pretty! Can't wait to try this out.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These all sound like wonderful cakes and they certainly are easy to make. I love your blog and always enjoy the time I spend here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Charley29 said...

i love this icebox cake. looks so yummy and really mouthwatering. thanks for sharing.

Cakelaw said...

This cake looks delicious!!!

Unknown said...

I too had never heard of ice-box cakes until recently. I thought they were those Pepperidge Farm box cakes that my husband loved in college.

BTW, I just adore your background print. It is so whimsical and playful!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Wow this looks absolutely yumm...

Unknown said...

This looks gorgeous! I look forward to tryin!

? said...

Sounds delicious!