Tuesday, September 1, 2009

September Challenge - Sacher Torte

My apologies to anyone who does not like chocolate or who is trying to lose weight that are participating in this challenge. September is not going to be a month that will make you happy.

Chocolate lovers, on the other hand, rejoice!

This month I would like everyone to make a version of the Austrian classic, Sacher Torte. Sacher Torte was invented in 1832 by Franz Sacher, a young apprentice chef for an Austrian royal. The history of the torte can be found here at the official Sacher Torte website.

The basics of Sacher Torte are that it is a rich chocolate cake, with a layer of apricot jam in between two halves, with a chocolate glaze on the whole of the cake. Having searched for recipes for Sacher Torte on the Internet, I found a plethora of different recipes, some with apricot jam, some with raspberry jam, some with chocolate ganache, some with a chocolate glaze. Basically, recipes abound and I leave you to choose which one you would like to make.

Legend has it that my Austrian great grandmother was a pastry chef in the Austrian Alps before she immigrated to America. I assume I get my love of baking from her and my mother. Perhaps my grandmother made Sacher Torte - I'm not sure, but I have always wanted to make this decadent dessert.

Good luck and happy chocolate to you!

8 comments:

Rena said...

Oh my! I'm definitely not losing weight for at least one weekend :) Sounds delicious! I don't think I've ever heard of this but I'm excited to try something new. Thanks Dorrie!

Colleen said...

Oh boy-yum!!!

ellebee said...

Hooray! I'm ready for chocolate. Tina and I have actually been to the Hotel Sacher, where this cake was invented. :)

jp said...

chocolate! yum!!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Who cares about a few pounds when you can eat something like this. I don't think I have ever had it but I am ready.

Thanks for picking something I know I will like and if I don't, it will be because I messed it up. Chocolate and apricot almost can't be beat.

Tina said...

Wooooo hoooooo bring on the thick chocolate cake with yumminess inside!! I'm feeling the raspberry version, myself.

This is a great idea!

(And Laura, I'm glad you remembered that detail!)

Tori said...

I agree with everyone else: YUM.

My birthday is this coming weekend, and I think this will be my birthday cake this year. Thanks!

Marta said...

Hahaha yes, sachertorte should not be attempted when trying to slim down! But when it's properly made it's worth every single little sinful bite! yums!