Tuesday, September 29, 2009

From My Blog - Sachertorte the Hard Way

Sachertorte- What a story.

In our baking group, Have the Cake, we were a bit more ambitious than the month before. That is what makes the group so much fun. Hey, if you have not visited us, come on over and if you like to bake, please join in the fun.It was decided, we would make a sachertorte, a delicious cake, chocolate with apricot filling and a chocolate ganache. A dream cake. It was not difficult although it did use a number of bowls. All actually went well. I made the cake and put it into a spring form pan, just like we are supposed to do. I put it, in the oven, on the center rack, like everyone says to do. I timed it and baked it. Took it out at exactly the right time to find something different than I expected.
Burnt and it looks as if it is burnt to the crisp but aha, I called upon my super power, positive thinking, determined to save this sachertorte and if you look at the photos, at the bottom you will see that I kind of did do that.
At this point, remember, I am the one who showed you my charcoal brownies that started a fire in the oven. So, you know I am honest and I don't want to be laughed at or considered a failure. I want support and gee, a little praise would go far, right now. You are now prepared for the rest of the story.
To find out what I did to save this poor burnt cake, go to the bottom of the page. First read about Joanne.
First the recipe copied by Joanne from Epicurious. Thanks Joanne. Joanne actually spurred me on to conquer the cake. You see, she is a runner, a real runner, marathons and miles kind of runner, one who does not give up. I don't give up either. Would she stop in the middle of a marathon because she tripped and start all over? No, of course not, she would go on. I did that too. I did not make another cake. I almost saved this one.

Sachertorte
Makes 1 double-layer, 9-inch round cake, adapted from Epicurious.com
For the cake:
4 1/2 oz high-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
8 tbsp butter, at RT
1 cup confectioner's sugar
6 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup flour
For the apricot filling:
1 1/4 cup apricot preserves
2 tbsp rum extract
For the chocolate icing:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
4 oz bittersweet chocolate
1. Make the cake. Preheat the oven to 400.
Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
Microwave the chocolate to melt it.
Remove from the heat and let stand until cool, stirring often.
Beat the butter in a large bowl until smooth, about 1 minute.
On low speed, beat in the confectioner's sugar.
Return the speed to medium-high and beat until light in color and texture, about 2 minutes.
Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time.
Beat in the vanilla and chocolate.
In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and granulated sugar on high speed until soft peaks form.
Stir 1/4 of the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture to lighten it and then fold in the rest.
Sift half of the flour over the mixture and then fold in.
Repeat with the second half.
Spread evenly in the springform pan and then bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
Remove from pan and cool completely.
2. Make the apricot filling.
Bring the preserves and rum to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat.
Cook, stirring often, until the last drops that stick to the spoon are very stick, about 2-3 minutes.
Strain through a wire sieve into a small bowl, pressing hard on the solids.
Use while warm.
3. Using a serrated knife, cut the cake horizontally into two equal layers.
Brush the top of the cake layer with the apricot glaze.
Place the second cake layer on top.
Transfer the cake to a wire rack and let cool until glaze is set.
4. Make the chocolate glaze. In a heavy-bottomed small saucepan over high heat, bring the water, sugar, and chocolate to a boil.
Attach a candy thermometer to the pan.
Reduce the heat to medium and, stirring often, cook uncovered until the temperature reaches 235 degrees Fahrenheit.
Remove from the heat and stir to cool and thicken slightly, about 1 minute. Immediately pour this over the cake and use a metal offset spatula to spoon it
over the top and sides.
Cool until the glaze is barely set, then transfer to a serving plate and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Remove from the refrigerator at least one hour before serving.
Does my cake look edible? Remember the rah rahs.
I could not cut the cake in half to make to layers so being creative, I did gut it in half, just down the middle vertically. I even layered the two halves so we now have a half a cake layered with layers are not straight and are not shaped properly.
Nothing was going to stop me and I forgot to scrape off the burnt top. The inside is just fine. I was now in a hurry so I did not push the apricot jelly through the sieve and used after boiling it to a good thickness. Delicious.
I then let the whole thing set while the apricot oozed out.
I came back in an hour, made the chocolate ganache and poured it over the cake. My goal was to hide my mistake and I think I did. Although, I admit there is a light burnt taste, only when you eat the edges, the rest is yummy. I had a piece and I want more. It is a great combination and I would try it again. Yes, I would. I do not take defeat easily.

2 comments:

Tina said...

I'm so glad that someone else had the burnt issue!! Using the epicurious recipe, at about 34 mins of cooking, I checked it and it was black!

I quickly took it out of the oven and when I sliced it in half, I also trimmed the burnt edges off. I thought it was my math in converting from fahrenheit to celsius.

Very clever of you to cut it the other way! :)

jp said...

I had the flat like a pancake issue? so I did what you did! cut that baby in half and layered it just as you did. And it was delicious...