Sunday, July 1, 2012

July Challenge: Crepes

Posted by - Rena

This month's challenge is to make Crepes. I know this seems simple but you'd be wrong about that. It takes a lot of skill and the right amount of ingredients to make them correctly. Mine are usually way too thick. Being that it's summer now, I thought we'd give the oven a rest for a bit.

There is a little cake shop on the upper east side of NYC called Lady M Confections. They make a cake (pictured below) called Lady M® Mille Crêpes - twenty crepes layered with the most delicious pastry cream you've ever tasted. They are famous for this cake and I can vouch for its deliciousness. They also make a green tea version that is to die for. This cake was the inspiration for this challenge.

There are numerous ways to use crepes and please feel free to make something savory this time if that's the direction you're heading. There is an amazing creperie in Denver called Crepes n' Crepes with scrumptious savory crepes. You can browse their menu to see what delicious varieties they offer and if you ever visit Denver, or live there, please do stop by for a meal. You won't be disappointed.

Happy July!


27 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

A sensational crepe cake!

Debby said...

Oh a new challenge for me. I love crepes and there is so much potential sweet or savoury...different flours...I must have a go at this...I'll get my thinking cap on.

Deb

Dorrie said...

Oh what a lovely memory Rena! Sitting outside and eating delicious crepes with you and Laura! Crepes, nutella and friends can't be beat!

Unknown said...

This looks great!!!!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen said...

Is this a group or are you just challenging yourself? The crepe cake looks fantastic!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen said...

Sorry, I just read the post and didn´t look sideways...!!!

philomena said...

MMMM deliziose le tue crepes!!!!
Bravissima

Ειρήνη said...

delicious!

Lynn Proctor said...

this is really beautiful!

~~louise~~ said...

When ever I hear crepes mentioned all I can think of is Lobster Newburg served in crepes! Oh gosh...However, I am so so bad at actually making them:)

That cake from Lady M's sounds incredible, Rena. It sure is pretty to look at too. Crepes are a great way to beat the heat. So versatile and always elegant:) Next time I'm in the city I'll have to check it out!

Thanks for sharing and for now whetting my lobster appetite!

Mary Bergfeld said...

That looks like an amazing treat and crepes are a great way to beat the summer heat. I hope you have a great holiday. Blessings...Mary

Caroline Taylor said...

This looks amazing! I've not seen anything quite like it before.

Lois Christensen said...

Wow, what a great blog you have! Your recipes are beautiful. I especially love the crepe cake. I love crepes and make them for my homemade manicotti! Thanks for joining my blog. I followed yours as well. Heading over to your Facebook page.

Anonymous said...

Hello! i learnt about mille crepes through an anime called yumeiro patissierie! THe pictures looks amazing! From your blog posts, you seem to make really great patissiere style cakes and they are so pretty to look at!
THanks for sharing!
-SimplyBakes

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

WStrdE 1Oh this looks wonderful!!

Trip to Heaven said...

cool.. yummy!

greetings from Jakarta Indonesia :)

i have put your link in my blog.. hope you'll do the same to me...
it's a kinda link exchange or something :)

Bety said...

WOW!
SO YUM!!!

Mimi said...

Looks like an awesome cake.
Mimi

Giancarlo said...

felice giornata...ciao

Yamile said...

I think they're the best crepes I've ever seen. Really perfect.

Sabrina Poehl said...

Crepes are one of the only things I have not attempted in the kitchen! Yours are beautiful! I love your blog, glad I came across it! Will definitely be following :)

Would love for you to stop by my blog sometime. New blog friends are the best!

http://sugarlyeverafter.blogspot.com/

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Wow, what a cake! It looks simply amazing.

zunnur said...

Hi Alida,

It really looks delicious!!

Trip to Heaven said...

hi there.. i'm here again just to say hallo ;) waddap..

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I'd love to try to reproduce that crepe cake! Wow, is it magnificent! But I think your crepes have to turn out round...LOL. That may be a problem ;)

Unknown said...

I just made some today with a cherry/strawberry coulis and nutella :)

Padhu Sankar said...

Wow Looks so inviting!