Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Classic Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Posted by - Susan

Welcome to another addition of Sweet Melissa Sunday. This weeks recipe is Classic Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. Rosy, of Rosy Lips and Lavender is this weeks hostess and she picked a winner! Be sure to stop by her blog and check out the recipe for this cake. Look around while you are there...she takes great photos! And, be sure to head over to SMS to see what all the other bakers thought of Rosy's choice!


My daughter's birthday is today and I made this cake for her. She loves red velvet cake (though I think she likes Funfetti cake more!) and I figured I would kill two birds with one stone by making this. We are getting together with her and her hubby on Tuesday to have dinner at Fuddrucker's. We have been going there for her birthday dinner for quite a few years now. I will bring several of the heart cakes with me that night. For the birthday girl's dessert,  you know. :)

This was a really simple cake to put together. I didn't read about switching out baking powder for the baking soda, to get a truer red cake, until after my cake was done. But, I think it's pretty red. Other than cutting back on the cinnamon by about 1/2 teaspoon, I made this one just like in the book. I ended up using some of the batter in my mini heart cake pan, getting 6 hearts, and there was still enough batter to bake 2 6-inch rounds!

I did stray from the recipe when it came to the icing. Shocking I know! Coming from someone who seldom if every varies from how the recipe is written. Seeing 3 sticks of butter and only 12 ounces of cream cheese...I just couldn't do it. I have a favorite cream cheese icing that I make. It calls for 1 stick of butter, 1 package of cream cheese, some confectioners' sugar and a little vanilla. It's smooth, creamy and delicious. I decided to use my icing on this cake instead of Melissa's.

The end result? What a great cake! I found it to be moist and tender. I could detect the cinnamon and I am glad I cut back on it a little. I think it would have been overpowering for my tastes if I had used the full 2 teaspoons. The chocolate flavor is there, but very subtle. I think my color turned out pretty nice. Maybe it could have been redder, but I think it looks good. And the icing? Well, I already knew it would be good!
I think my daughter will be very happy with her mini heart shaped Red Velvet cake with Cream Cheese Icing. Happy Birthday Beth!! (if you are reading this!) <3<3<3

6 comments:

Rena said...

Welcome to the group Susan!

Your cake looks beautiful and happy birthday to your daughter. :)

Colleen said...

Gorgeous cake!!

Tina said...

Happy Birthday, Beth! I hope she loved her really lovely heart shaped red velvet cake. I love the idea of cupcakes shaped like hearts! Beautiful.

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

i love what these really sweet heartys Susan....and happy happy birthday to ur angel....

I love these heart shaped cuppys too ....so so dang cutey.....

Joanne said...

This red velvet cake looks absolutely delicious! Be sure to wish your daughter a happy birthday (i know I would be happy if I were eating this :D)

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter and welcome, Susan. I am really glad you are here. I love what you bake. This is included. You have the touch that makes a good cake, great.

You do realize, you have to live up to all I say about you.