Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes - Sweet Melissa

Posted by - Chaya                                   Red Velvet Cupcakes
Unofficially, I have joined Sweet Melissa Sundays.  When I post my first recipe, I will be official.  A few weeks ago, the group baked a Classic Red Velvet Cake and here we are baking red velvet.  You will now discover how smart I am.  I baked the same recipe for both.   Cheers for me.

Susan has beat me to this and as brand new member, got here first. Welcome Susan.  She is a first class baker and the nicest person.  Check out her photography at her baking blog.

I knew, there was no way, my family was going to eat this cake.  Remember, the frostless gang....my guys.  Some of the married ones might eat it but then they will look at the red and want to know what mistake I made. 

As a result, I made plain red velvet cupcakes and gave them to my class.  I made 8 cupcakes, 1/3 of the recipe and we cut them up to share.  Even, I got a piece.  Actually, it was very good.  I would have liked the frosting and so would have the boys.  They are lucky, I didn't make them gluten free.

This was an easy recipe.  The only challenge, I think, was how to get it to the right red.  Mine look brownish red although my photos came out real red.  Go figure.  I have one that looks like the true color.




For the Cake

3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

3 tbsp best-quality unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder

2 tsp ground cinnamon

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups buttermilk

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

2 1/4 cups sugar

1 1/2 vegetable oil

3 large eggs

1 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar

2 tsp red food colouring



For the Classic Cream Cheese Filling and Frosting

12 ounces cream cheese, softened

3 cups icing (confectioner's) sugar

3 sticks unsalted butter, softened

2 tsp vanilla extract

Before you start

Position a rack in the center of your oven. Preheat the oven to 350F.  Line cupcake tins.

Cake
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.

In a small bowl, whick together the Rice Milk and vinegar and vanilla.

In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a whip attachment, cream the sugar and oil. Add the eggs and beat well. Add the vinegar and food colouring and mix to combine.

Add the flour mixture to the batter in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk mixture. Mix well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat well for 10 more seconds.

Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake tins.  Bake for 25 - 30 mins or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool for 20 mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cool .

9 comments:

Tina said...

Those are gorgeous color! I'm jealous! I'm glad you found an appreciative audience for them.

Aruna Devi said...

Red velvet looks amazing...

Mamatkamal said...

This colour is so cute! Lovely cupcakes.
Have a nice weekend!
Cheers,

Katy ~ said...

Chaya, I think you are VERY clever.
Cupcakes look very good!
Hugs!

Joanne said...

Way to kill two birds with one cupcake! These are quite gorgeous Chaya!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Oh my sweet Chaya...these are so sweet n adorable-love ur red red color .....what color did ya use?

fimere said...

I have an award for you on my blog, come and take it
see you

Gina said...

Those are such a gorgeous red!

Susan said...

Awww! Thanks for the nice comments! Welcome (even if it's still unofficial) to SMS! Your cupcakes look gorgeous...great color!