Friday, March 26, 2010

Bailey's Irish Creme and Vanilla Tiramisu

Pop. Quiz.

Enough with the moaning and groaning. Just put away your books. Take out your pencils.

And no one. Will. Get. Hurt.

Hey. If I have to suffer through an exam every week. Then the least you can do is go down with me. It's. Only. Fair.
Question one.

A piece of tiramisu comes to the emergency department of the hospital at which you are an attending and presents with a stab wound from a knife that entered through his umbilicus (i.e. what is approximately the center of his body). What layers did the knife puncture, in order from superior to inferior?
(a) external oblique fascia, rectus abdominis, rectus sheath, transversalis fascia

(b) Camper's fascia, Scarpa's fascia, rectus abdominis, transversalis fascia

(c) cocoa powder, vanilla-scented mascarpone, Bailey's- and coffee-infused ladyfingers, followed by another dreamy set (can you have too many) of vanilla-scented mascarpone, Bailey's- and coffee-infused ladyfingers

(d) peritoneal membrane, transversalis fascia, transversus abdominis, internal oblique
If you chose b as your correct answer. You sadly mistook your patient for a living, breathing person. Better go and study the difference between animate and inanimate objects. But good job on your human anatomy. If you're looking for a career in medicine, then I hear Cornell is accepting applicants. It seems that a spot has opened up since some crazy and reckless individual has decided to go to cooking school instead.

Wishful. Thinking.

If you chose c. You are CORRECT. You've been doing some outside reading, I see. Well done my friend. Well. Done.

If you chose a or d. You obviously know nothing about either tiramisu or your own body. Yeah. I'm not sure what you've been doing with your time either. Nothing productive. Obviously. It's okay. You have a chance to redeem yourself. Make this tiramisu. Eat two pieces (if you can stop there) and call me in the morning.

Doctor's orders.
Bonus question.

What have you submitted for Regional Recipes: Ireland? I know St. Paddy's day has come and gone but, as evidenced by this tiramisu, Bailey's (and Guinness) can be consumed. Year. Round. So let's get to it! The deadline for submission is March 31. Please send your entries to me at jhbruno87@gmail.com. Make sure you include a link to your recipe, a photo, and put a link to the event (i.e. my blog) on your post. Best news is - I will accept any Irish dish that you cooked for St. Paddy's day this year even if it was posted earlier this month. Just make sure you add in a link to the event!
Bailey's Irish Creme and Vanilla Tiramisu
Serves 9, adapted from Baking Bites

8 oz mascarpone, room temperature
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 cup heavy cream, COLD
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup strongly brewed coffee, room temperature
1/4 cup Bailey's Irish Creme
2 boxes of ladyfingers (each of my boxes had 20...I think I used 35 in total)
unsweetened cocoa powder

1. In a mixing bowl, beat the mascarpone, confectioner's sugar, heavy cream and vanilla until combined, fluffy, and smooth.

2. Mix the Bailey's and coffee together in a bowl. Dunk a ladyfinger into this mixture (2-3 seconds) and then layer it into the bottom of an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish. Repeat until the bottom of the pan is covered in a single layer.

3. Spread half of the mascarpone mixture on top of this.

4. Repeat step 2.

5. Repeat step 3, adding all of the remaining mascarpone.

6. Dust with cocoa powder. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge overnight or at least 6 hours.

7. Serve to your sister for her thirteenth birthday. Or. You know. Eat it while sitting at home on a Friday night studying for anatomy. It's your call.

This is my submission to this month's Have the Cake!




Posted by - Joanne

4 comments:

Rena said...

I am LOVING that there are no eggs in this version! I'm going to try this recipe if I ever make it again.

Looks delicious! Happy Birthday to your sister!

Vrinda said...

Delicious tiramisu...my fav

Catherine said...

Oh my goodness Joanne, I don't think I've seen anything so delicious! I'm saving this recipe and will definately "have the cake!"
Have a wonderful weekend dear.

Veronica said...

Yum! I was contemplating trying it with Bailey's next time, so I'm glad to hear it came out well like that.