Posted by Amber
Recently, I was looking at some blog pages and discovered this baking group Have the Cake. I was so excited to see if I could join and start baking and blogging with them. Rather than waiting until next month's challenge I decided to jump right in and bake April's Challenge Flan hosted by Jen of Pieces of Me .
I had my parents over for dinner and wanted to have a Mexican themed dinner and dessert. So I found a recipe for a Mexican Flan with Tequila aka Flan al Tequila. Overall, I think it was a good recipe but I am not sure I would make it again. I know there are different textures of flans but this particular one was not creamy enough for my liking. My husband though loved it enough to go back for seconds and said it tasted like waffles :) Coming from someone that does not try new things often I took this as a huge compliment! So I may have to make it again someday... See this posted with more step by step photos at LiveLoveToBake.
Mexican Flan with Tequila
4 - Eggs
1 - Can (14oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1- Can (14oz.) Evaporated Milk
1 tsp - Vanilla Extract
2-4 Big Dashes - Tequila
Carmelized Sugar Topping
1 Cup - Granulated Sugar
1/4 Cup - Water
1) Pre-heat oven to 350C.
2) Mix sugar and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir once to combine and then heat while letting the sugar dissolve into the water. As heating the sugar mixture it should start a clear color and turn a light brown color. Swirl every now and then while heating to make sure that the color is distributed evenly. Once the light brown color has formed remove the saucepan from heat. Quickly pour the hot carmelized sugar into the bottom of a baking pan and swirl around until fully covered.
3) Mix together the condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and tequila. Pour this mixture into the baking pan coated with the carmelized sugar.
4) Place the flan baking pan into a hot water bath (I used a 9 x 13 glass pyrex dish with water filled to 1-2 inches high). Take the flan baking pan in the water bath and place these into the pre-heated oven. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until a knife placed into the flan comes out clean.
5) Let flan cool and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
6) Invert flan onto a plate and admire your baking!