Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mexican Flan with Tequila



Posted by Amber


Recently, I was looking at some blog pages and discovered this baking group Have the Cake. I was so excited to see if I could join and start baking and blogging with them. Rather than waiting until next month's challenge I decided to jump right in and bake April's Challenge Flan hosted by Jen of Pieces of Me .


I had my parents over for dinner and wanted to have a Mexican themed dinner and dessert. So I found a recipe for a Mexican Flan with Tequila aka Flan al Tequila. Overall, I think it was a good recipe but I am not sure I would make it again. I know there are different textures of flans but this particular one was not creamy enough for my liking. My husband though loved it enough to go back for seconds and said it tasted like waffles :) Coming from someone that does not try new things often I took this as a huge compliment! So I may have to make it again someday... See this posted with more step by step photos at LiveLoveToBake.



Mexican Flan with Tequila


Ingredients

Flan Custard


4 - Eggs
1 - Can (14oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1- Can (14oz.) Evaporated Milk
1 tsp - Vanilla Extract
2-4 Big Dashes - Tequila



Carmelized Sugar Topping

1 Cup - Granulated Sugar
1/4 Cup - Water


Directions

1) Pre-heat oven to 350C.


2) Mix sugar and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir once to combine and then heat while letting the sugar dissolve into the water. As heating the sugar mixture it should start a clear color and turn a light brown color. Swirl every now and then while heating to make sure that the color is distributed evenly. Once the light brown color has formed remove the saucepan from heat. Quickly pour the hot carmelized sugar into the bottom of a baking pan and swirl around until fully covered.

3) Mix together the condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and tequila. Pour this mixture into the baking pan coated with the carmelized sugar.


4) Place the flan baking pan into a hot water bath (I used a 9 x 13 glass pyrex dish with water filled to 1-2 inches high). Take the flan baking pan in the water bath and place these into the pre-heated oven. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until a knife placed into the flan comes out clean.


5) Let flan cool and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.


6) Invert flan onto a plate and admire your baking!






9 comments:

Rena said...

It looks beautiful! I'm sorry the texture didn't turn out to your liking but the caramel looks absolutely amazing.

Welcome to the group! Happy baking. :)

Livelovetobake said...

Thank you Rena! I really enjoyed baking it though :) I look forward to baking with you all!

Colleen said...

Looks fantastic! Welcome!

Jessica said...

Very nice! I prefer a more creamy texture myself so I can understand what you mean. How was the tequila taste? Was it pronounced enough? I love a good tequila taste! It looked like it came out wonderfully!

Tina said...

Gorgeous pics! And I'm impressed with putting tequila in - that's something I would never have thought of!!

That's why I LOVE Have the Cake!

Welcome!!

Amber said...

Jessica: When I was adding in my dashes of tequila from the bottle I felt like they were more like glugs and I was worried that I put in to much! As it turns out I was not able to taste the tequila at all. So if I made it again I would add more tequila although since I did not measure it out the first time I cannot really tell you how much. I can look into it for you and comment back. Thanks!

Susan said...

Wow, it looks fabulous! And, Tequila? I have to try this one. :) Welcome to the group!

Joanne said...

So glad you joined us! This looks fantastic...perfect caramel.

jp said...

oh tequila!