Thursday, June 30, 2011

Egg Free Boston Cream Pie

Posted by - Nancy

So after 5 months with the new baby and my rapidly approaching 3 years old and now potty trained preschooler, I feel like I am finally getting back to groove of getting stuff done. Now if I only could type one handed a bit faster!

Anyway, I was excited about this months challenge, I have never made Boston Cream pie before. However, as I started looking for recipes I quickly realized I would need to make a variation since my baby girl is showing the signs of having the egg allergy my son has. So I am on an egg free diet to help keep her eczema at bay. But of course, BCP is full of eggs, from the cake to the luscious cream filling. I thought I would be doomed.

However, after a quick Google search I came across a vegan recipe from this blog and after reading through it I figured it would work. I am not vegan though so I did use real milk, butter and yogurt. Below are my modifications:

INGREDIENTS:

Dry:
2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

Wet:
1 1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c or 6 oz. greek yogurt
2 t. vanilla
1 1/2 c. milk

Cream filling:
1/3 c. sugar
pinch of salt
2 T. cornstarch
1 1/2 c. milk
1 T. butter
1 t. vanilla

Chocolate Ganache:
1/4 c. or 1/2 stick butter
1/3 c. chocolate chips
1/4 c. milk, at room temperature

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake rounds and line bottoms with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine sugar and vegetable oil. Add soy yogurt and vanilla and mix until creamy. Mix in milk. In another bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Add to wet in batches. Ladle batter between the two cake pans and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on rack.

While cakes are cooling, prepare cream filling. In a saucepan, combine sugar, salt and cornstarch. Add milk and whisk together. Bring the mixture to a light boil over medium heat while whisking constantly. Lower to a simmer and whisk until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add margarine and vanilla. Pour into a bowl and let cool, stirring every few minutes. Filling will continue to thicken as it cools.

After cream filling is cooled, prepare ganache. In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt the margarine completely, stirring constantly. Add milk and whisk to combine. Remove from heat and add the chocolate chips, stirring rapidly to melt. Let cool for several minutes.

Spread cream filling between cake layers. Top cake with Chocolate Ganache. Let cake set in fridge for at least 45 minutes. Remove from fridge 20 minutes before serving to let ganache soften for easier cutting...



So we set out to make the cake one morning during nap time. Of course, behind every aspiring home chef is an even better sous chef:
DSC02677
DSC02681

And the final product:
Boston Cream Pie
Boston Cream Pie

And I bet you're wondering how it tastes? Pretty good actually. Don't get me wrong, this is no substitute for the luscious cream filling portion, but the cake is wonderful. In fact I think I will save the cake recipe for my daughters first birthday cupcakes!

3 comments:

Donna Elick said...

I am so glad you found a dessert for your daughter. Maybe she will out grow the allergy.

Jessica said...

That's looks super yummy!

Unknown said...

Thanks guys. I am so happy I found this cake recipe. It gets better with age. And it is so much better than any of the other egg free cakes I have tried.