Sunday, September 19, 2010

Big & Chewy Soft Pretzels

Posted by - Louanne

Everytime we buy a pretzel from Auntie Anne's Pretzel shop in the mall, I say, "I bet I could make these," to which my husband replies, "yeah, you probably could and should."  Well, many thanks to Rena for choosing soft pretzels for September's Have the Cake theme, because I finally got into the kitchen and made them!  I used Alton Brown's recipe, which had a yield of 8 pretzels, plenty enough for a family of three.  I mixed the dough in my stand mixer, and I think the process would be quite difficult without the use of it.  Also, the dough is a little difficult to work with, initially, but I had a hair appointment and after I mixed the dough, I oiled the bowl and placed it in the refrigerator.  By the time I had arrived back home, six hours had elapsed, the dough had risen, and it was super easy to work with....at first.  I found the rolling of each piece into the required 24" length somewhat frustrating, and after 6 misshapened pretzels, I made a braid, and Andrew, my 5-year old, made the last piece into a roll.  The braid was actually quite easy, and the next time, I'll made them all into braids, because yes, I would definitely make these again!  Both Brett and Andrew gave them 2 thumbs up, with Andrew telling me "these are the best, Mom!"  One of the reasons I had never made them before was of the brief process of immersing the pretzels into boiling water.  This step turned out to be very quick and easy, so don't let that deter you.  The pretzels are declicious and without comparison to those at the mall.
Find the recipe here


6 comments:

Tina said...

The braid is a great idea! Those look delicious.

ellebee said...

Yum! Your pretzels look delicious, and I love the pic of your son. So cute!

Unknown said...

Thank you Tina! The braid was easier to shape than the pretzel!

Thank you, ellebee! He asked me to take his picture so everybody could see how big I made the pretzels!

Anonymous said...

They look absolutely delectable and your son is adorable.

http://www.medifasthealth.org/ said...

Now that's a pretzel!!

Stella said...

Hey Louanne, nice to find your blog!
Ooh, and your pretzels look so much better than those ones at the mall. I bet they are so much more healthful too;) Nice!