Thursday, September 9, 2010

Norwegian Style Glazed Almond Pretzels

Posted by -  Angela from  Soap Mom's Kitchen


I have to tell you that I have been on a search for Norwegian Almond Pretzels ever since I went to Epcot at Disney World, and visited the Norway Exhibit. There is a wonderful bakery in the exhibit with traditional Norwegian  pastries. I remember the first time I laid eyes on those gorgeous, yes gorgeous pretzels covered in almonds. I had to have one instantly. My heart was beating fast and the counter person could not have put it into a bag quick enough. One bite and I thought I went to heaven! Not overly sweet, just soft and delicious.
This is European comfort food!

I have been on a quest for several years to find that elusive almond pretzel recipe from Epcot. I never found it, but I was lucky enough to find a traditional German Pretzel recipe from a baker friend of mine who happens to be German. Yes, German people know a lot about pretzels. Well, I decided to make a glaze of my own and add the sliced almonds. I have to say I was quite pleased with my endeavor. They are soft, not to sweet and just delicious. I think the folks at Disney might even approve! Well, this is my version of a Norwegian Almond Pretzel with the help of a dear friend, who isn't Norwegian, but the next best thing, German!

I would definitely make this recipe again and after baking, dip them in salted butter or cinnamon sugar. Maybe even a jalapeno cheddar pretzel with a cold glass of beer might be nice!

Warning!  You cannot just eat one.  They are addicting!

Recipe
Yields 7 pretzels
preheat oven to 375 degrees

2 tsp. dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (105 degrees)
1/2 tsp. salt
4 T. sugar
2 large eggs room temperature
3 to 4 cups of flour  if you need a little more just add a little at a time ( You want a soft dough, not sticky and not firm, just right!)

Dipping solution:
2 cups water with 1/4 cup  baking soda added

Glaze:
1 cup powder sugar
1 tsp. almond extract
Water ( start with 1 T. and more until you achieve a smooth consistency but not to thin)

In a large mixing bowl, stir yeast into warm water and dissolve, add sugar. Wait five minutes to activate yeast. Add eggs and beat in with a whisk. Add first cup of flour with 1/2 tsp.of salt. Add remaing cups beat with dough hook on a stand up mixer, or if doing by hand, knead to form a soft dough. Grease another bowl, add dough and cover with a tea towel until double in size. Divide dough evenly into 7 balls. Roll out into long strings and form a pretzel knot. Dip into soda water solution and place 4 pretzels onto 1 cookie sheet that has been sprayed with oil. Place the other 3 onto another cookie sheet. Let double in size. Bake for 12 minutes until slightly golden. Cool and brush with glaze and drizzle with sliced almonds.  Sift confectioner's sugar over pretzels.

6 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

This look amazing!! The glaze with almonds - it incorporates all my favourite baking elements.

Anonymous said...

WOW! Those look awesome. They came out perfect.

Victoria said...

OMG! All I want right now is to have one of these delicious pretzels! Just wonderful!!!

Rena said...

OMG, those look delicious! Well done!

Tina said...

YUM! Those look to die for!

Vivian Thiele said...

Oh goodness! These look absolutely amazing! I remember having pretzels when I lived in germany - European pretzels are a bit different than those you find in the mall. Great job!