Monday, October 25, 2010

Spice Cake with Sea foam Frosting

Posted by - Vivian

Please forgive me!  I'm a bit off of my game since I returned from China.  I managed to take pictures of the spice cake while I was making it, but when I took it out of the oven, frosted and served.... well, I totally forgot those parts!  Which explains the lack of a finished product photograph.

I'm hoping that with just sharing this lovely recipe will help me to get some forgiveness.  This cake recipe is one my husband's grandmother made and was passed down to me through his mother.  It is my husband's favorite frosted cake recipe.  Enjoy!

Spice Cake

3/4 shortening
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
2 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour two 9-inch pans or one 9x13-inch pan.
Cream together in large bowl, shortening, brown sugar, granulated sugar and eggs.
Add remaining ingredients and mix together until smooth.
Pour into one 9x13-inch pan or divide mix equally between two 9-inch pans.
Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pans ten minutes before removing.  Frost with sea foam frosting.

Sea Foam Frosting
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Wash all utinsels and pans thoroughly - all items should be free from any oil.
Stir the unbeaten egg whites, sugar and water together in the top of a double boiler. Over briskly boiling water, using a mixer, beat for 7 minutes or until frosting looks fluffy and holds a soft, gentle shape.
Remove from boiling water, add vanilla extract and continue beating until frosting has stiff peaks.
Spread between layers of cake and then frost the sides and top.

3 comments:

Vivian Thiele said...

According to the rules I was supposed to make something I have never made before. Forgive this transgression, but hubby was so eager for something that tasted of home after we got back from China.

Anonymous said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful! Your forgiven!!! That is something I would do! I will put it into the recipe file.

Chef Bee said...

I love spice cake and I will definitely try the frosting.

Plan B