Saturday, October 2, 2010

Vanilla, Chocolate & Mocha, Oh My!

This is only my 2nd ever layer cake and my first try at dividing the layers. The request for this cake was chocolate, vanilla with mocha frosting for a birthday. All the recipes come from the fantastic cookbook All Cakes Considered by Melissa Grey.

With 3 of the 4 layers and their base mocha frosting. My dividing skills need work although the toothpick and string trick worked really well.
All fully frosting and ready for candles. If I eventually get really into layer cakes I am thinking a frosting and decorating class might be a good idea...right now I'm just happy to cover the cake completely with frosting.
It was a very tasty cake...my main issue is the fact that my cake building and frosting skills needs work. But it's taste that ultimately matters right? :-)

7 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

What a decadent cake! The inside looks very fluffy and light

Bakericious said...

looks delicious.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Do I need work in this area. I am excited about attempting this. I need an occasion. I will t hink of one.

Thanks for this theme.

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

this is a perfect cake for any celebration. It's really stunning. thank you for sharing.

Colleen said...

that looks and sounds so yummy!!

Zoe said...

yum. what a great combination!

Anonymous said...

That cake looks so yummy, I just want to dive in!