Thursday, July 14, 2011

Easy Cheesy Crackers

Posted by - Dorrie

This week, while contemplating what to bring to a play group get together for snack, I remembered that this month's Have the Cake challenge is crackers. Why not kill two birds with one stone?

I searched the internet for a recipe for cheddar cheese crackers and happened upon one that was on several different websites/blogs. It sounded magnificently easy and tasty.

Fortunately for me, I already had my camera in the kitchen because that morning I had mistakenly let Henry try eating yogurt out of a bowl with a spoon. As you can see, very little made it actually into his mouth, but I think he's learning about the whole "spoon" thing...

Henry and the strawberry yogurt
Henry and the strawberry yogurt

Cheddar Cheese Crackers

1 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp white ground pepper (optional)

4 Tblsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

8 ounces grated cheddar cheese

3-4 tsp water

Pulse the flour, salt and pepper, then add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add grated cheese a little at a time until the mixture again resembles coarse meal.

Cracker dough in the food processor
Cracker dough in the food processor

Pulse in 3 to 4 tablespoons of water, one tablespoon at a time, and only enough so that the dough forms a ball and rides the blade.

Remove, wrap in plastic, and chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or up to 24 hours. Roll the dough out to 1/8th-inch thickness directly onto a baking sheet. I used biscuit cutters to cut out mine, but the recipe recommends using a knife or pizza cutter to cut all of the dough into 1 inch squares.

Cutting out the crackers
Cutting out the crackers

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the crackers are golden brown.

Finished crackers
Finished crackers

I doubled the recipe thinking that it wouldn't make very many from one batch, but as it turns out maybe 60 crackers was a bit much...

These were great crackers, right out of the oven. But they became pretty moist and "biscuity" the next day. The lack of our usual dry Colorado weather has something to do with that I think, as we are current in our "monsoon weeks" with a thunderstorm occurring every afternoon. They might store better next time, but I think if I make these again I might take the time to bake them the day that I serve them.

10 comments:

Priyanka said...

Very yummy crackers.......
And such a cute baby.... :)

Quay Po Cooks said...

OMG, these crackers look so good!

Michele said...

They look great! I love the cutters you used.

Laura Olson said...

These look so tasty! You always make these challenges seem easy. :) Love the shape, too.

Alice said...

Hhhmmm...my fave :)

Nithu said...

Crackers are simple and yummy.

Sashquatch said...

I too make something so similar to this (maybe even identical) so can completely vouch for their brilliantness! Crazily easy hey but a lovely snack to have around, and they always make me smile when they puff up so nicely and with so little effort! You have such a lovely blog, thank you for commenting on mine :) I will be a regular visitor from now on!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

this looks sooooooooper good...:)
Tasty Appetite

Quay Po Cooks said...

To get inspiration for home made crackers, I am in the right place. These crackers looks so good.

Anonymous said...

Henry is just the cutest little guy!!! Oh,the crackers looks so yummy and delicious!! Love the shape.