Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Nude Carrot Cake - Go Get Dressed


I think, I had better explain, why my poor carrot cake and most of the other cakes I make, walk around without their frosting. I bake, mostly for my husband, and he does not like anything chocolate of gushy. His cakes do not get frosted or glazed or iced. They shine on their own, I hope. Actually, he likes almost all of his food, "pure". Mashed potatoes without gravy, candied carrots without the glaze, salads without the dressings unless very subtle, pasta with a minimum of sauce........I think you get the idea. Fortunately, my children are more like their Mom and eat all that fattening stuff.

Since, he does not eat chocolate of any kind, chocolate goodies, usually get the works. They are like my toys because I can play with them. I can create and glorify the wonders of chocolate. That makes up for all those nude cakes, I usually make.

I admit, I recently baked him the most delicious apple bread and put the glaze on but it got absorbed and I am guessing that he was not aware of it. The glaze is what gives it the taste and he liked the taste.

If you like carrot cake, you should like this......... It seems to me that carrot cake is an all time favorite. Maybe, this is because it is a moist cake, goes down easily and with lots of flavor.

This cake has pecans but carrot cake lends itself to lots of choices. I like to add golden raisins, craisins, coconut or different types of nuts.


Carrot Cake
Ingredients:

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans
4 cups grated carrots
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Although I do not make the frosting, I am going to include the recipe for it, for those of you who want to adorn the carrot cake.

1/2 stick margarine, softened
one pound confectionery sugar
8 ounces cream cheese
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Method:

Preheat the oven 350 degrees.
Chop the pecans.
Combine dry ingredients together in large bowl.
Add eggs and oil.
Mix until just blended and then add the carrots and the pecans.
Do not overbeat and do mix by hand.









Frosting:

Using a beater, mix cream cheese and margarine until smooth.
Add sugar and vanilla.
Blend well.
When cake has cooled, spread the frosting on.
If you want to decorate the frosting, add any decorations you want.
I like the little flower shaped ones.
Although, I used the golden sugar sprinkles on another carrot cake and it sparkled and matched the color of the carrot cake. It made an attractive picture even without frosting.

1 comment:

Tina said...

I LOVE the shape of this cake!