Sunday, January 24, 2010

Chocolate Cinnamon Rugelach

Posted by - Rena

Well, sort of a success but not really.

I found a recipe online that was really easy. It included cream cheese, butter, flour and salt in the food processor. I put the dough in the fridge for about an hour and then got really lazy and barely rolled out a disc. It was way too thick!


Then I took out the two bags of chips that I bought and discovered that I really didn't pay attention when I was buying them. I picked up a bag that said mini kisses - which in my head meant mini chips. Not so much. They are mini Hershey's kisses which means that they are giant chocolate chips. Please note the size difference from the normal sized cinnamon chips. Hello... they make cinnamon chips! Who knew?! "They" being the people that make all things delicious.


After all was said and done, they were tasty but way too thick and the chips were really too big. I made a second batch the next night and melted the chocolate and cinnamon chips together and it was much better. I also took the 5 seconds to roll out the dough properly and it made all the difference.

Cream Cheese Dough

Cream cheese dough, unlike pie crusts and other pastry constructs, is almost fool-proof. You don’t have to worry about the weather and if you have a food processor, you can put this together in half a minute.

1 pkg, (8 ounces) cream cheese (or Neufchatel)
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter
2 ½ cups flour
½ tsp. salt

Food Processor Directions

Put all ingredients into the bowl of your food processor. Using a metal blade, Pulse the ingredients until the cream cheese and butter have integrated with the flour in a smooth dough. This will take 10 to 20 seconds.

Cover the ball of dough with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour or up to a day.

5 comments:

jp said...

they look delicious, Love the dog peeping in lol!!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

So sweet-love those chocolate chippys.....
Oh i can almost feel 'em melt in on my tongue as i gaze at urs....fantastic....
U were really good with the dough -i need refrigeration after every(well almost)step....

Tina said...

Fab pics. Loving the cream cheese recipe. And Aussie 'enquiring' about the bowl = lol. :)

And WOW I'm impressed that 'they' make cinnamon chips!!!!!! Seriously, the Yanks have IT ALL. :)

Tori said...

Mmm...the cinnamon/chocolate combo sounds wonderful!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

These are fantastic...chocolate oh chocolate.

I bought coffee chips, yesterday so now I am thinking of coffee, chocolate cinnamon rugelach. Or, back to apricot......