Saturday, January 23, 2010

Nutella Rugelach

Posted by - Tori

In a throwback to our very first Have the Cake, Rena and I had great plans to bake together this month. That was, of course, until she tried to blow us both up with her busted oven. Luckily, we survived! That meant, though, that I was on my own for rugelach this month. In my fantasy life, I'm an impressively accomplished baker. In reality, though, I'm not only a novice but a busy novice and, accordingly, I sometimes take the easy way out. This was one of those months.

I decided to do a derivation on the posted recipe. It looked so easy, and I figured if it came out good I'd have an easy go-to cookie. My variation was to ditch the jam and head straight for the Nutella, because Nutella is basically happiness in a jar.


I made two mistakes. First was to spread the Nutella too thin. What was I thinking!? Obviously, a truth of life is that greater amounts of Nutella always equal greater amounts of deliciousness. But I ignored my instincts and kept the layer thin.

I also left these little guys in the oven a minute or two too long. After setting the timer for 20 minutes, I promptly got absorbed in an episode of True Blood. Todd and I were in the middle of a season 2 marathon, and between the vampires, shape shifters, and Stackhouses I temporarily forgot that I was baking. When the 20 minutes was up, I had slightly over baked rugelach.


These weren't bad. God knows Todd and I certainly enjoyed them. But they aren't a new favorite, either.

7 comments:

Rena said...

I have to say they look amazing! Nutella is definitely happiness in a jar and when you left my house, I was secretly hoping you left the jar behind. I'm glad you didn't because it would have been me and a spoon on the couch.

They really look adorable!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

I was very tempted to go the happiness way too...yayayaya to nutella.....
Ur rugelach are lovely....

Dorrie said...

Nutella makes everything better - so I'm glad you decided to give it a try. They do look lovely, if a bit over baked. I doubt over baked really matters when Nutella is involved...

Hannah said...

Ahh, Nutella...! These are so pretty, what a great idea.
xxx

jp said...

wow those sound great!!

Tina said...

YUM! And they're lovely!

And I can't imagine anything containing Nutella being too difficult to choke down, even if ever-so-slightly over baked.

jp said...

how did you make them so perfectly! I just made mine and wow, that was tough!