Sunday, January 31, 2010

Gooey Chewy Rugelach

Posted by - Michelle

Hi all. Last day of the month, my month, and here I finally am.

So, as a tribute to my late grandmother and mother, both of whom were wonderful cooks, I chose rugelach as my selection. So many fond memories. I think I had hyped it up in my head so much that I was a little nervous about my performance. But, it turned out great and I think I made my Grammy proud.

I didn't actually use the recipe I posted either. Kudos to all who snooped around for something they liked better. I found a cookbook I had bought at TJMaxx all about Jewish Feasts. So, I used that recipe.
The dough consisted of flour, unsalted butter and cottage cheese. Yep, you read it right, cottage cheese. I refrigerated it overnight and then made them the next day with my husbands help.

I let the dough sit for a little while until it was more room temperature. Couldn't find my rolling pin so I improvised and used a bottle of blueberry table wine. (Blech!)
I divided the dough before I refrigerated it so I proceeded to sort of roll it out into circles. Yeah, that's not easy to do, is it? And who decided that 1/8 of an inch was the right thickness. I eyeballed it.

I used cherry preserves, dried cherries and walnuts for the filling.

The rolling was pretty good. Not too much oozed out the ends of each roll. The chunks of cherry proved a little challenging but I just tried to squish things back in with a pinkie finger.

Once they were all rolled, we sprinkled them with cinnamon and sugar and popped 'em in the oven for 30 minutes-ish.

They were quite good. I took a bite and I was 8 years old again, in the kitchen with my Grammy, tasting of her hard work. I looked up and smiled, thinking I'd done her proud.

On to the next recipe in her box...

2 comments:

Rena said...

They look great! I'm certain you made Grammy proud!

Thanks for the challenge. It was quite a challenge but it was good to try and make them... once. I'll go back to buying them from my supermarket. They are delish! Way better than mine.

Tina said...

I'm sure your Grammy was very very proud! They look delish. And you got a fab flashback. That's ALWAYS welcome. Thanks for a great challenge.