Posted by Vivian Thiele Let's Try These
I am pleased to be part of another blogging challenge hosted by Rena of Have The Cake. This month we were challenged to make a buttermilk cake. I had no idea there were so many variations of buttermilk cakes! The opportunities were endless and it was only my recent cravings of lemon that lead me to prepare this cake based upon a recipe at grouprecipes.com
The original recipe calls for taking the baked bundt cake, poking holes in it and drizzling lemon juice over it. I have this aversion to soggy cakes so I opted to just add that lemon mixture to the batter before baking. It was just the lemon intesity I was looking for so I am glad I made it this way!
Lemon Buttermilk Cake with Lemon Curd Sauce:
adapted by Vivian Thiele
1 cup butter-softened
2 1/3 cups sugar-divided
3 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoon fine breadcrumbs
lemon curd Sauce:
2 cups sugar
6 large eggs-lightly beaten
1/4 grated lemon rind
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup butter-softened
1. Butter a 12-cup bundt pan and coat with breadcrumbs.
2. In a large mixing bowl,beat butter until creamy. Gradually add 2 cups sugar. Beat well.
3. Add eggs one at a time,beating after each addition.
4. Combine flour,soda,and salt. Add to butter mixture alternating with buttermilk,beginning and ending with flour. Mix at low speed after each addition.
5. Stir in rind and1/2 cup lemon juice.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until inserted wood skewer comes out clean.
8. Cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto wire rack. Cool completely.
To Make Lemon curd sauce:
1. Combine first 4 ingredients in top of a double boiler. Bring water to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium and cook,stirring constantly,until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
3. Add butter one tablespoon at a time. Whisk until blended.
4. Chill if desired. Serve with Lemon Buttermilk Cake.
This is definitely going to be a keeper recipe!