Raisin Buttermilk Coffee Cake
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 2 eggs
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 4 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups buttermilk
* 1 cup raisins
1. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in raisins. Spread half of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with half of the crumb mixture. Carefully spread with remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
I will be honest, it wasn't the coffee cake we were expecting or what we are used to. This was moist, not crumbly and we kind of wanted crumbly. It was good, looks great, but not crumb cake really. Maybe it is the buttermilk part? It was cakey, not crumby. I thought maybe I did something wrong but looking at all of yours I see that it looks as it should. Not sure I like this one. Perhaps, I would try strawberries next time!
And I should have cut this in half, because I have tons of it! I have two pans!