[ie dont like at all] Mango ICecream and Mango Mouse , yet am gaga over this MAngo CUrd.... well but aint here to figure my taste buds ,but only indulge them ...and hope to indulge urs too , ALONGWITH mine!!!
FOR MANGO CURD ,CLICK HERE
A buttery mango BATTER WITH A LAYER IN BETWEEN AND TOPPED WITH
MANGO BATTER and some MANGO CURD...
When HAVE d CAKE, one of d wonderful groups am a member of, chose ButterMilk Cake , well Gerri and Rena thanxx for the wonderful Choice, i was more than jus happy....coz ,most of the buttermilk cakes i loved ,had fruits and am totally donnuty at the moment for fruity delights.
HAve quite a few more bookmarked and another baked too, and maybe i'll post another one Jus about soon...
U can sub Sour cream for buttermilk ,but i prefer buttermilk:-))
And added lods of Mango Curd too:-))
BUTTERMILK and MORE
What exactly is buttermilk? [as far as my knowledge, exprnce and reading goes:-)]
Well the only commercial one we ger readily here, is a lightly spiced watery one:-)
Really good for marinating meats though, But the water i strain after draining yogurt thru a cheese cloth is also butter milk[BM] to me, but thats talking of the low fat kinda buttermilk.
Now for the sake of the word Butter in BM [lol], lets get to the thicker version of BM, i normally would use some yogurt [almost always make buttermilk at home] with half&half and whole , let it stand in a warm place for a thick buttery BM...
Well then i love the CRUZE's BM story as muc as their Delicious good BM pound Cake too....
There's lods to learn about buttermilk all around the place too, and i loved reading about BM here , here and here too!!!
What i did was whisk some yogurt [Nestle curd], add some warm half and half[lite cream] and let stand for 3 hours...perfect!!
Before we get back to our buttery MANgo BM Cake, featured here [yummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!]
For the MANGO CAKE HERE , i read this recipe at Trini GOurmet , a good mango cake, and GELs Kitchen Mango Cake
Adapted From NY times ,a butter cake by MArgaret Brauns
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1/2 cup for sprinkling
- 4 large eggs [or 6 if u skip the mango curd]
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract [i used 3 whole vanilla beans]
- Finely grated zest of 4 lemons (for lemon cake, but i do love what it did to the mango cake]
- Juice of 1 lemon (for lemon cake-optional]
- 1.5 cups sour cream
- 1.5 cups Mango chunky mango bits with juice
- [as i chopped a few mangoes, i had pieces from the cups and thick puree from the seeds]
- 3/4 cup mango curd[am sure i added a bit more:-)]
~~~this quantity makes quite a bit of cake, i halved it and still had lods of cake
~~~if making a few cuppys too, tip the tops with some mango Curd ...delicious!
~~~love the crust that forms atop with the sprinkled sugar:-)
~~~the original called for 6eggs but since i had mango curd ,i cut it down to 4:-))
- 1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter and flour two 10-inch round cake pans.
- I buttered a few heart shaped cuppy cakes moulds and a large mould.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 2.In another bowl, cream the butter and 4 1/2 cups of sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla or scrape the vanilla seeds into the batter.
- Add the lemon zest and juice and the cubed mango pieces and puree mash.
- 3.Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, alternating with the buttermilk and mango curd.
- Scrape batter into prepared cake pans.
- A few cakes , were half filled, a mango slice inbetween and then covered with batter again!
- 4.Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of the sugar on top of the batter or a mango slice if u want too or both!
- Bake until set, when a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean (about 1 hour).
- 5.Let the cakes cool in their pans, and then invert them onto a rack.
- Right outa the oven , we popped a few ,right into our mouths....warm and tender and so so soft......
- Delicious and butterly so.....flavor sure develops the next day!!!
- Some part of the cake was almost like a pudding cake....
- While some was soft and tender.......
nOTE -With this dessert the Lees suggest a dry Champagne, like Veuve Clicquot.
Now for the GIveAway.... avery pretty Giveaway......
FOR THE MANGO CURD RECIPE AND BAKE IT PRETTY GIVEAWAY AND MORE PICTURES HOP HERE.