Thursday, August 25, 2011

Homemade Rolos

Posted by -vivian thiele
I loved this challenge... even if it was messy! I don't know why but whenever I work with chocolate I end up having myself covered in it!
I have a truffle candy mold so I thought that maybe using caramel instead of a truffle filling would give me a Rolo candy.  Didn't quite have the taste of a Rolo, but it was pretty darn good!  I only had dark chocolate on hand and I think using milk chocolate would have been much better.
Homemade Rolo Candies
Caramel filling:
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Chocolate coating:
1 pound dark chocolate,  tempered and ready to use

Directions:
Combine sugar, corn syrup, milk and margarine in a saucepan.  Stir an heat to 248 degrees F.  Remove from heat, add vanilla and pour onto a well butter cookie sheet.  Set aside to cool.  At this point you can score into sections the size you desire. I took sections and rolled them into small marble size pieces and covered with chocolate.

Many people fear tempering chocolate but it really is an easy process.  Use a good quality chocolate, not chocolate chips or the candy coating bark most grocery stores carry.  The quality of chocolate will determine the taste so spend a bit of extra money on it!
I use a double boiler to melt the chocolate, but care must be used to not  get water into the chocolate.  Water in chocolate can cause the chocolate to "Seize" up.  This problem can be fixed but it is best to avoid it altogether and just be careful.  Using a candy thermometer, melt the chocolate and let it get to 110 degrees F. Remove from the heat and let it cool to 89 degrees  F. Return to the heat and warm it up again.  Simple. There are other techniques out there but this is how I was taught.  If during the second warming it gets to warm, just remove it from the heat.  Any chocolate you don't use can be dried and stored again until next use; it doesn't need to be tempered again.  Tempering the chocolate gives your candy the nice glossy look one desires when making candy.
turn over the molds and let the excess drain out.




9 comments:

Janie said...

Oooh yummy..thanks for posting..I think I will do these today (although it isn't exactly a candy making kind of weather)

Rena said...

How can you go wrong with chocolate and caramel?! They look adorable.

And there's nothing wrong with bathing in chocolate. That's how it should be. :)

Erin said...

those look heavenly

Pavithra Elangovan said...

wow absolutely yumm.

Nithu said...

That's an elegant and tempting candy. Love to grab a bite.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the sweet comments! You candy looks amazing too--and everything is messy, at least it is in my kitchen LOL =)
~Carolyn
www.cookinformycaptain.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Yum-me. Those look delicious.

Colleen said...

Those are beautiful!!!

kyleen said...

Ahh these looks so delish! I just joined HTC and I'm super excited to participate in the next challenge!