Tuesday, August 23, 2011

"Snickers" Bars


Posted by - Erin
I am actually remembering to post this month! I made pound cake a few months ago (epic fail saved only by LOTS of glaze) and totally forgot to post it... So here we go--Snickers, one of my husband's favorite candies!
The recipe was easy enough, I got it at food.com. http://www.food.com/recipe/snickers-candy-bars-95145 Easy to follow, and I had most of the stuff on hand, which was nice! I don't have enough time today to post the full recipe, but here's the gist of it (after each layer you put it back in the freezer, which of course requires reorganization of your freezer):
layer 1: 1 cup chocolate chips, 1/4 cup butterscotch chips, 1/4 cup PB. melt and spread on bottom of pan.
layer 2: boil 1/4 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, and evaporated milk for 5 minutes, add 1.5 cups fluff, 1.5 cups chopped dry roasted SALTED peanuts, 1/4 cup PB. spread on top of hardened chocolate.
layer 3: 14 oz carmels melted into 1/4 cup whipping cream. spread on top of "nougat"
layer 4: repeat layer 1
They were great, EXTREMELY sweet. Early onset diabetes sweet. My husband is taking the rest to work tomorrow. :)
And what I will tweak next time...
1. Find carmels that are not individually F-ing wrapped.
2. The butterscotch chips don't melt the same as the milk chocolate. I was so worried about burning the milk chocolate that the butterscotch never fully melted. Next time I am either going to skip the butterscotch or melt them separately.
3. The chocolate on the bottom was almost non-existent. Next time I think I will line the pan with parchment and make just the middle layers (nougat and carmel) and then cut into cubes and dip in chocolate so that they are fully covered.

3 comments:

Rena said...

YUM! Oh my, those look good. I'm surprised to find that it seems many of these recipes have butterscotch in them. Wouldn't have guessed that.

Well done. They look yummy!

Colleen said...

my recipe is going to use butterscotch chips-good to know it melts differently!
those look good!

Unknown said...

Funny I read this now, I have a pan on Snickers bars cooling in my freezer. I will let you know how they turn out. For the melting, I ended up melting mine in the microwave and didn't notice a huge difference in the melting of the chocolate to the butterscotch.