Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Chocolate Chip & Walnut Shortbread

Posted by - Rena


YUM! Just to get that out of the way...

I have been putting this off for days because the cold weather makes me want to bake (and eat) all day, every day. I knew once I made shortbread, all bets would be off. I pictured myself eating them all in one sitting with a cup of coffee loaded with Marshmallow Mocha creamer.

I went to the store today and bought mini chocolate chips and walnuts just in case. I finally committed and made them. I thought I had regular flour but all I had was King Arthur white whole wheat flour. I used it and they turned out fine. You can't really tell it's whole wheat. The shortbread was crumbly and not too sweet.

I decided to get fancy and melt chocolate, pour it over the top and add on walnuts. That was the plan but something happened with the chocolate and it became more of a paste. I added in butter and nothing happened. My computer was upstairs and I didn't want to waste the chocolate so I devised a shmear and pat system. Shmear the chocolate and pat down the walnuts. Worked like a charm.


I used the recipe from Nancy's challenge post and added in mini chocolate chips. I didn't measure them out. They are delicious and my neighbors will get the majority. I've eaten too many pieces already.

6 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

I love variations of normal shortbread; particularly at Christmas time. This looks delicious!!

Unknown said...

Mmmmm, looks delicious. I agree on not wanting to waste the chocolate, a schmear sounds perfect.

Anonymous said...

The schmear of chocolate looks divine! Another wonderful shortbread worthy of gift giving! I am drooling, again!!

Miriam said...

Oh my! The name alone had me sold. Thanks for the recipe and have a fabulous weekend! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Colleen said...

I need to make mine still but I have been enjoying way too many cut-out cookies and having another baked good in the house is not a good plan!
Baked good distributed to the neighbors is a win-win!

Laura Olson said...

Yum! I wish I was your neighbor. :) These look amazing.