Sunday, December 19, 2010

Macadamia shortbread

I like shortbread as it is. Being plain and buttery is good enough to satisfy me. Here is a simple macadamia shortbread that I have made for the December shortbread challenge hosted by Have the Cake (HTC).

I thought that I could be creative in creating shortbread with variations but I still cannot convince myself to change the traditional shortbread to a fanciful one because the best shortbread to me is just a simple one.

I believe that a good shortbread has to be essentially made from a good quality butter. As for the macadamia, I've pre-roasted the nuts to minimize its raw taste in this pastry and the texture is fantastic. Lastly, I would think the most important of this shortbread recipe is my step 5 which is "Pop one bite size shortbread into your mouth, munch and enjoy its buttery taste"...LOL


Here is the recipe from Bourke Street Bakery by Paul Allam and David McGuinness

175g unsalted butter

250g plain flour

60g rice flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

125g caster sugar

80g macadamia nuts, chopped (I roasted mine prior mixing)

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 20 cm square x 4 cm deep slice tin.

2. Remove butter from the refrigerator 20 min before using. Sift plain flour, rice flour, baking powder and slat into a bowl. Add caster sugar and stir to combine.

3. Cut butter into cubes and use fingertips to rub butter into the dry ingredients until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add macadamias and continue rubbing together to combine and then knead to form a dough. Pat mixture into prepared tin and smooth the top using back of a spoon. Place in a refrigerator to rest for 20 min.

4. Bake for 30-40 min or until shortbread is light and golden colour and firm to touch. Allow it to cool in the tin before removal from tin. Cut the shortbread into fingers (I cut mine into cubes as bite sizes). Shortbread can be stored in airtight container for up to 3 days.

5. Pop one bite size shortbread into your mouth, munch and enjoy its buttery taste...

Happy Baking

Posted by - Zoe @ Bake for happy kids

6 comments:

Rena said...

They are gorgeous! I love the idea of adding macadamia nuts. I can almost taste it. :)

Welcome to the group!

Anonymous said...

I do agree with you. The traditional and the most simple is definitely the most delicious!!!! They look amazing and I wish I had one right now. This shortbread recipe sounds wonderful!

Vivian Thiele said...

macadameia sounds lovely!

Talita said...

Mmmmmmm... What a yummilicious shortbread!! Sounds delicious with the macadamia flavor.

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Macadamia is my new fav nut and am soo in love it!
I lovee the pre roasted nuts from Azar , oh so good and fresh!
And lovee ur shortbread too, totaly melt in ur mouth i say!

Unknown said...

These look delicious. I like the idea of cutting them into little squares, although they would still disappear fast around here!